Sunday, May 30, 2010

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson



This whirlwind adventure begins as Ginny, 17, reads a letter from her free-spirited, unpredictable Aunt Peg, who has recently passed away. She is given several destinations, four rules, and the instruction to open one envelope upon her arrival at each place. Thus begins a rapid tour of Europe as the teen struggles to accomplish the tasks established by her aunt. The motivation: Ginny wants to understand the woman's wanderlust and, possibly, she just wants a connection to her beloved relative. Throughout her adventures in Rome, Paris, Greece, England, and the Netherlands, the teen collects pieces of Peg's past and learns more about her rapid departure. She also learns much about herself.

I first picked up this book awhile ago but ran out of time so I was not able to read it then. I have a bit more free time so I decided to read this book. I have to say that the concept reminded me of the adult novel P.S. I Love You which is about a woman who receives one letter a month for a year after her husband has passed away. Ginny has been sent on a journey by her aunt who has passed away but really is supposed to find herself throughout this journey. She is a quiet character but there is not that much that is special about her. Some of the other characters stood out more including Keith who writes a musical about Starbucks. She has strict instructions not to contact anybody in the United States including her mother but I would have to worry for the mother. She is gone for a few months with absolutely no contact. I did enjoy this novel though I did not find anything exceptionally special about the book. It was exciting at times and other times, it was a bit slow. The journey really ends up being about Ginny coming to terms with the death of her aunt and coming out of her shell. I did enjoy the the letters that occasionally appeared throughout the book even if we never get to read the last letter. It is not a book that will make you think but it is enjoyable enough to read after you've read an especially heavy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment